Sunday, July 26, 2009

Getting Older

I am about to change decades in my age and I am not very excited about it. I have nothing to show for anything! I have not accomplished all that much, in fact, I have accomplished nothing. I have had the same job for the last 27 years! What does that say? I do not own a home, or a car, or have children or go on great vacations. I do have a job and a roof over my head and a car that is almost paid for...... I have a great family, but that is none of my doing. I have some terrific friends, but I also have some "friends" that weigh me down. But I just put up with it. Why? I suppose because I think that I can "help" them? I enjoy them sometimes but how much do you have to put up with before you call it quits. Just this week two of them sat here in my house and lied to me. Then they expect me to be their great friend. I am a good friend to them, but they are not to me. On the up beat I heard from two friends that I haven't heard from for years. One of them is a college friend that I worked with at Goodrich Dairy Store in Kearney. He called me and told me that in all the years and all the people that he has met there are just a handful that even if you do not see them ever again, are in your heart and you love them. He told me that I was one of those to him, as he is to me. I wanted to plan a get together for my college friends that are the same age as me, we all turn within 6 weeks of each other. One of them can't come because of a wedding, her nephew's so of course that is understandable. One can't come because she has a meeting at work, one can't come because she was the last one to ask for it off of work and she isn't feeling well. So, it isn't because they don't want to come but what I find so sad, is that all of us are in the same boat. When we were young and in college we swore we would take a cruise when we turned 50. Now we can't even all make it to McCook because we are still working away at jobs that we can't just take off. I know, I know that I have a great life. I do But it just isn't what I always pictured.

2 comments: