Thursday, February 19, 2009

Good Friends

Today we had our "Good Friends" get-together at school. At my school ,Third Grade has a program that we call "Good Friends". Each third grader is matched up with a community member and then every month we get together and have a party. In September we just played some word games and word searches while everyone gets to know one another. In December we make graham cracker "gingerbread" houses, although this year we didn't get to because of the weather. In January we played UNO and this month I got a little craft for us to make together. The music teacher helps out by preparing a 10 minute program where the kids sing or play their recorders or some such thing. Then in April we have an evening party where we invite the parents and the Good Friends can bring a guest and the children put on a musical. It is so much fun for the kids and the adults as well. For the teacher, it is lots of work but well worth it. I have so many older members of the community that I call my friends now, that if we didn't do this I would not even know who they are. When I found out that I was going to teach Third grade I was afraid of being in charge of the program but the first year I did it, my teaching partner had taught third grade a few years so she planned it and "I helped". The next year I was the only third grade teacher so we did things mostly the way she did with a few changes and the art teacher and the music teacher helped me. This year there is another third grade teacher but we are doing things pretty much the same as always. I knew this was an important part of our community but I didn't realize how much until I went to a former student's funeral and one of the pictures they showed on the slide show at the funeral was his good friend and him when he was in third grade. His good friend was there sitting with the family. That's when it hit me that this wasn't just good for kids, it was essential that we keep it up, no matter what. So. . . we have "Good Friends". This month the parent who had signed up for treats and napkins, cups, drink, and everything was helicoptered to the hospital in Omaha. The other parent signed up was the parents of my little girl that is non-verbal and I had forgotten to send a reminder about it earlier this week. I figured that last night was too late so I asked another mother, who graciously agreed, to bring treats and I took a bag of Chex mix and a vegetable pizza. Then the mother that was going to help and bring the drink couldn't come because her daughter threw up at lunch and she had to go home. This wasn't looking like the best meeting ever! But the librarian offered her aid to help me and that was a life saver. She manned the punch. The mother of my non-verbal student brought homemade cookies. The boys that I have for special reading set up the table and got the floor of the room cleaned. They were so careful to count out the napkins and forks. They even sat the forks in a fan design after I told them they had to look nice. We made the craft and then we had our snack and it was a huge success. I had three kids not there and three good friends couldn't come. When it was all over, everyone said it was a great time and they were so glad they came. It is important for kids everywhere to have as many people in their court as possible but for kids in our socioeconomic group, it is just essential. I am glad to be a part of it. I have fun and have also made some wonderful friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment